Our Mission and Vision
Voyagers’ Community School Mission
Our mission is to foster the natural joy of learning within people while empowering members of the school community to develop personal responsibility and the confidence to create the lives they want for themselves as global citizens.
Voyagers’ Community School Vision
Voyagers’ Community School is a place…
- where a child can grow and learn as a whole person.
- where children can develop thinking and working attitudes that empower them to take over their own growth.
- that honors and encourages children’s vision, tenacity, initiative, imagination, generosity, and exploration.
- that is defined by the bounding level of excitement, enthusiasm, creativity, ingenuity, inquisitiveness and individual and community satisfaction.
- that invokes vibrancy and trust among children and adults alike.
- where children can find their voice and participate in a democratic community.
- where learning is defined by no one and by everyone.
Philosophy of Education
Our Philosophy of Education falls under five subheadings.
- The culture as a teacher
- The teacher as a learner; the learner as teacher
- The administrator, teacher, student and parent as colleagues
- The community as teacher and communicator
- The work of learning
The thought reflected within these headings express who we are, why we exist, and what we hope to accomplish in and outside of our school.
The culture as teacher
Culture is a way of being in existence with others. The culture at Voyagers’ is reflected in the atmosphere that exists within our boundaries and among our members. Together we recognize and encourage intellectual and social prowess.
The teacher as learner; the learner as teacher
The acquisition of knowledge is not limited by individual imagination but is bolstered by the power and richness of thinking and sharing. Knowledge grows from relationships of trust, fairness, and regard for others. Through an intellectual exchange, we teach each other and learn with each other.
The administrator, teacher, student and parent as colleagues
The sense of responsibility and passion that rises in our students when they are involved in community work contributes to their evolution as good, civic-minded individuals who give and support others in society.
The collaborative philosophy of the school is carried out by its administrators, teachers, students, parents, and board members who all work together in an effort to create a learning environment that results in academic success, as well as social and emotional growth.
The community as teacher and communicator
At Voyagers’ there is never a stagnant mind, an expected way of doing things or a prescribed right and wrong. There are always questions to ask and answers to be found.
Learning is driven by the need to know and the thrill that emerges in sharing and debating ideas. Together in dialogue, we enrich each other’s lives.
The work of learning
In our school there is joy, passion, kindness, liveliness, acceptance, and inclusion as we learn. All members work to participate with intellectual, social and political awareness. Knowledge is power and all children deserve the best possible opportunity to learn and feel confident and smart.