In our Reggio Emilia inspired Preschool program, teachers offer an emergent curriculum based on exploration and creation. No day is the same as another.
Each day, children:
- Explore interactive centers
- Meet in circle for a morning meeting
- Sing songs
- Partake in storytelling/story acting
- Explore and create
- Spend time outside
- Discover and discuss new ideas
- Work on both long and short-term projects
- Enjoy a healthy snack
All of this ensures basic skills are attained and deeper thinking and learning happens.
Co-construction of Knowledge
The teacher is a partner, a nurturer, a guide, and a researcher. Children are offered experiences from which they can develop their own meaning through exploration and discovery. Each preschool child is seen as co-constructors of knowledge. Children are curious and capable and engage in different activities, where they observe, hypothesize, question, and clarify to create understanding. The availability of rich, real materials, along with the teacher’s gentle guidance, facilitates the children in their inquiries and investigations.
Children take part in community life activities such as:
- Whole school recess
- Museum days
- Caring for the classroom
- Watering plants
- Tending to pets
These activities help preschool children develop practical and social skills that enable them to be capable and self-reliant alongside their classmates. Relationships are important both with other children and with adults.
When children collaborate with each other and the teacher a strong emphasis is placed on respect, community, and communication, helping children build their social and emotional intellect.
Our curriculum, with a local to global reach, introduces ideas that encourage an understanding of the wider world. This helps children become global citizens.
Children engage with the broader culture by exploring:
- The outdoors with weekly visits to the F. Bliss Arboretum
- The work of local farmers, craftsmen, and business owners
- The music, customs, and traditions of people at home and around the world
At Voyagers’, the environment is yet another teacher. While in school, children are free to express themselves in many ways. They gain a deep understanding of the materials in their classroom and in the world around them. They are encouraged to look at and use materials in a variety of ways and participate in long-term projects designed to inspire them to view a subject from many angles.
Our classroom is designed to be aesthetically pleasing and engaging. Children are encouraged to further their understanding of the world in a setting that supports the interaction and engagement of young children with their environment.
It is our goal at Voyagers’ to provide environments and experiences for children that inspire the exploration of ideas, investigation, and satisfying interactions with others in play.
Children learn best through a multi-sensory, project-based approach. At Voyagers’, children are encouraged to touch, see, hear, move, speak, and listen. They construct their learning of language, literacy, math, creative arts, science and global studies through deep and unconstrained exploration provoked by the teacher and classmates.
Through active, multi-sensory involvement, memories are rich and learning is meaningful.
These children are well prepared to take on the challenge of the work they will encounter in our Kindergarten through Second-Grade classroom.
Partnership with Parents
Voyagers’ uses an online portfolio supported by Seesaw. This portfolio is a simple way for teachers to record, document, and share what is happening in the classroom daily.
Through this portfolio parents discover:
- Experienced and responsive teachers who focus on each child.
- A flexible and responsive environment designed to give young voyagers' the chance to move freely and explore their world.
- A fenced in yard with climbing areas, a mud kitchen, a sound garden, an organic garden and plenty of places to discover bugs, flowers, and frogs
- Soft seating in our book nook
- Sand/water tables for early sensory development
- Instruments, art supplies, magnifying glasses, bug boxes, blocks, trains, trucks, multicultural dolls, and manipulatives for rich language and social development.
- An extensive picture book library.
- A loft for seeing the space from a different vantage point
Your child’s portfolio will move with him/her through each year of schooling at Voyagers’ Community School.
Our PreKindergarten is open Monday – Friday, from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm, with morning, afternoon, and full day options. We also offer before and after care and Lunch-Time Fun. Families use our program in a way that best suits their schedule.
|Full Days||8:30 am - 3:30 pm|
|Mornings||8:30 am - 12:00 pm|
|Afternoons||12:00 pm - 3:30 pm|
|Lunch Time Fun||12:00 pm - 3:30 pm|
|Before Care||7:30 am - 8:30 am|
|After Care||3:30 pm - 6:00 pm|